Guides to death and you

gcq

Recently, since the GMs started the "write a guide" event, we got a whole bunch of activity in the forum's.  Which is great, its sad to see no one seemingly cared for it...lol

But it also raised a question formme after seeing all kinds of guides... What is actually to you guys considered a "good" guide?

And I mean everyone here, not only GM. 

Sometimes guides range from written essaies right off the stretch to basically a wiki copy with additional pictures.

If just more pictures "help", should we maybe aim next on update wiki with that maybe?

What are your thoughts guys ~

kthxbai.

We're still thinking about the specifics but yes an update on wiki is needed and coming.

In my humble opinion, the difference between wiki and forum guides is simply the player's experience.

For example, let's say there's a quest: baking cookies. Wiki would have the basic recipe and instructions, which allows everyone to try it.
But after weeks of trying, player cookiemonster has a lot of experience with baking cookies, so they make a guide on how *they* do it. Which could be either the same wiki method but with tweaks, tips and additional information (eg. put some cinnamon, have a glass of milk. There are different types of flour, you can use a or b because of this and that), or an entirely different method at all... which could totally be linked in wiki too, in the "External Resources" section at the end of the page.
But if player cookiemonster only proposes the same recipe as wiki again, I think just editing the wiki page with the various additional pictures instead would've sufficed.

But those are just my thoughts, I'm interested in others' opinions as well.

Well as you guys might notice, me and Connor already worked on updating the wiki (our biggest problem tho are the lack of rights lol).

Anyways, I agree with that and that's what also is a bit my issue with the forum updates recently. 

Not to offend but most stuff is just glorified wiki posts (adding pictures). 

What to change, what works best is what a guide makes special, telling what to do when unexpected things happen. Not just retell the same story. 

If you're talking about the community event, well that's why there's the "Be helpful" as a condition to win. Even if a guide is the only one in its category, it wouldn't win if it's not helpful.

It's not only focused on the event, in general. Some topics just fit better in wiki then forums.

(and I mean ... where is the point in having both when informations get posted back n forth in both?)

The major problem we got with wiki atm that it's a clusterfuck of informations, everything's everywhere and since forums not really has categories, it might happen here too if we get 20 guides on the same topic.

I don't wanna say, don't write, but it might get messy.

(maybe add after event a post above guide section were all guides are collected in a list?)

admins should give rights to players to tweak and add wiki, and just approve the change. Wiki is great but there's so many information missing. And can GMs please please add script of the custom items so people can understand how some of the items work. Sometime the description and the effects don't match and we can figure out where the problem lies by comparing the coded lines against the given effect. 

45 minutes ago, foodplz said:

admins should give rights to players to tweak and add wiki, and just approve the change. Wiki is great but there's so many information missing. And can GMs please please add script of the custom items so people can understand how some of the items work. Sometime the description and the effects don't match and we can figure out where the problem lies by comparing the coded lines against the given effect. 

Need say, more open scripts do would help a lot.

I would even go as far as a open Skill List for MvPs/Mobs. Like atm me and Connor hunt a Mvp and have no idea how we suddenly take insane damage out of nowhere. lol

Guest Crystalline

@gcq @foodplz 

As great of a suggestion that is, i would like to inform you that even GM's are not allowed to handle scripts at all.

So the chances of having regular players read or have access to read scripts would be unlikely. 

However...you can try having a conversation with Syphon to have your wiki account upgraded to gain more rights in editing wiki. But i cannot guarantee you that he will let you. 

And we appreciate the effort of updating wiki! 💖 a little help is always appreciated~

Have a nice day~

7 hours ago, Crystalline said:

@gcq @foodplz 

As great of a suggestion that is, i would like to inform you that even GM's are not allowed to handle scripts at all.

So the chances of having regular players read or have access to read scripts would be unlikely. 

However...you can try having a conversation with Syphon to have your wiki account upgraded to gain more rights in editing wiki. But i cannot guarantee you that he will let you. 

And we appreciate the effort of updating wiki! 💖 a little help is always appreciated~

Have a nice day~

Oh ok, sure.

And regarding an upgrade. It's just there is sooooo much trash in wiki since it's a copy, articles that are over a decade old and no one cares for, articles of the old servers that we dun need and all the ancy shits like conquest or elixirs.

It's just to support you guys since, I have seen this rabbit hole. It's pitch black as his background and I guess you guys have better things to do then hunt outdated wiki pages.

more easily people can access information, more the reason people will stick and play the game for a longer time. Since with widespread information barrier to entry will be much lower. That's what i think at least.

Just curious what's the down side to opening up the wikis for people to edit? I mean people are volunteering to do these stuff that GMs/Admin are suppose to do with every new items or some weird ass items. 

Seriously with the access, Imma go full Steven Pruitt on the wiki, sooo much works needs to be done there. 

1 hour ago, foodplz said:

more easily people can access information, more the reason people will stick and play the game for a longer time. Since with widespread information barrier to entry will be much lower. That's what i think at least.

Just curious what's the down side to opening up the wikis for people to edit? I mean people are volunteering to do these stuff that GMs/Admin are suppose to do with every new items or some weird ass items. 

Seriously with the access, Imma go full Steven Pruitt on the wiki, sooo much works needs to be done there. 

Actually the wiki is open to edit. Me and Connor already edited a ton of things already. Also don't tell me about adding every weird ass item, I already notice that with 3rd job hats qq.

If you think we maybe should focus on a topic is particular, feel free to offer us.

The downside is: you could trash it with nonsense.

Guest Crystalline
5 hours ago, foodplz said:

As @gcq stated above this thread, Wiki is open for anyone to edit as long as you create an account ☺️

As for trashing wiki with nonsense, we do moderate wiki as much as we moderate forums and we can approve or deny an edit anytime. Basically deleting the edit and returning the ruined page back to its place.